Thomas Van Kirk and his wife Elizabeth Carnes arrived from Monmouth County in 1775. He bought 45 acres from James Broderick for 9000 English pounds in 1780. The Homestead has been occupied by the Van Kirk family for over 240 years before the farm was sold to Sparta Board of Education to build the Sparta Middle School. Sparta Historical purchased the home in November 2013.
The ceremonial street sign was installed by Sparta Township on the entrance to the current Van Kirk Homestead Museum. Sparta Historical Society invited the Van Kirk family for a surprise dedication to Marilyn and Clayton Van Kirk, both current members of Sparta Historical Society. After a short ceremony, photos were taken to commemorate this joyous occasion. Board of Trustees and original founders of Sparta Historical Society, Ed Fritsch and Marjorie Strohsahl was in attendance as well as a few town officials, who spoke a few words.